Wednesday, April 22, 2015

7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker and TWO MORE WEEKS OF SPRING SEMESTER!!!

        For the past week, continuing into this week and the next, I will be working my ass off. By this Friday, I have a reading response (no shorter than one page double-spaced) due on Oedipus Rex by Sophocles, two substantial responses to two of my classmates reading responses, an essay (5-6 pages) on the symbolism in The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams, and three psychology chapters to complete (she gives us like 5 a week so this is usual).

So of course now is the perfect time to start reading a book for my recreational entertainment!

That's right. I started a book of my own personal choosing for the first time in forever. *Queue Frozen's "For the First Time in Forever"*

This evening I began to read 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker, a lovely Christian Author and Speaker. (Sidenote: You should really check out her Facebook page here because she's actually really cool and is not that in-your-face-about-the-Bible annoying Christian.) I have been trying to straighten out my relationship with the Lord. As I strengthen the tie between myself and the Lord, I feel myself grow stronger. Let me tell you, I have never (and I mean NEVER) ventured into the Christian section of the bookstore. Because honestly are the books really interesting at all? I can tell you right now, yes, Yes, YES!

      Jen Hatmaker's book originally popped out to me because I recognized her name. Four die-hard Catholics on my Facebook page "like" Jen's page, which is actually why I recognized her name. Well, I picked up the book to see what it all was about: "Jesus, may there be less of me and my junk and more of You and Your kingdom" all through the number seven (Hatmaker 5). For thirty days in sets of seven, Jen (and sometimes her husband and children) eliminate excess in certain areas of their lives. One area was focused on spending, and my boyfriend and I were just talking about creating a strict budget to follow. Thus, I made my purchase! So far, I've only read through the first two months.

       Month One: Food, where Jen chose to eat nothing but chicken, spinach, whole wheat bread, eggs, sweet potatoes, apples, and avocados, only drinking water and only allowing seasoning with olive oil and salt and pepper - let me tell you, she got creative! Every time Jen would get sick of eating the things she chose to eat for the 30 day period, she would pray and would remind herself that she still has so much more to be thankful for.

       In chapter two, Month Two: Clothes, Jen chose seven articles of clothing. Here, underwear, a bra, and socks did not count. Because she had speaking events that month Jen was careful with her clothing selection. She chose two short sleeve t-shirts, one long sleeve t-shirt, a pair of jeans, a pair of sweatpants, and two pairs of shoes (one for daily wear and one for events, so technically she had more than seven, but due to circumstances, the flexibility had to budge slightly). Jen said she actually enjoyed this month because she isn't one to get fancy anyway.

At 2:30 AM, I am simply too exhausted to read another page in this fabulous book, but I cannot wait to continue reading tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment